Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Portrait cross stitch

Several years ago (probably about 8), as a former 4-Her I was walking through the project buildings at our state fair.  There was a both that, from a distance, appeared to be displaying many old-time photographs.  When I got closer, I was shocked to learn that they were in fact cross stitch pictures.  The women working there explained that they had sent photographs in to a company that turned them in to a pattern for the cross stitch.  I got the information on the company and sent in 3 photographs: one of my maternal grandparents, one of my parents, and one of my sisters and I.  (I am not providing the info on the company because shortly after I sent in my pictures, they sent me a letter announcing that they were going out of business.)  I began the picture of my grandparents first.  I worked on it for many hours and made good progress on the project, but for some reason, eventually set it aside.  It sat there in a state of "almost done for several years."  Every time a holiday came around, I'd tell myself I should get it out and finish it as a gift for my mom or for my grandma.  This summer, my grandmother passed away (my grandfather passed away when I was a child).  That really motivated me to pick up my project and finish it as a gift to my mother.  It was so close to done--I can't believe I had left it sitting like that for so long!  I finished up the project and my sister Ann helped me pay for the framing.  I really love how it turned out, and so did my mom.  She was talking about taking it to church to show off to her friends, and to our next family gathering to show all of my aunts and cousins.  Now, let's see how long it takes before I get the next one done...



1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is amazing! I am so glad that you were able to get the pattern for your next two projects before the company went out of business. I can't wait to see how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete